January 29, 2021
Good Movies, January 2021
- Another Round, 2020 - ★★★★½. Four stars? Five? Anyways, it’s tough to be precise when you’re always a little bit smashed.
- Widows, 2018 - ★★★★. On my watchlist way longer than it should have been.
- The Cobweb, 1955 - ★★★. Good yarn.
- Stray Dog, 1949 - ★★★. Good noir. This movie occasionally just stops to take in the sights, be it a seedy neighbourhood or a baseball game. Lots of slow interrogations with anxious cops losing their minds because the city just keeps getting worse around them. Mifune slowly begins to think every crime that’s been committed happens because a thief took his gun.
- The Ghost of Peter Sellers, 2018 - ★★. So the Criterion Channel has some boring stuff too huh
- The Ladykillers, 1955 - ★★★★★. It’s a good thing they never tried to remake this.
- Cat Ballou, 1965 - ★★. if all mediocre films were like this, I think people would enjoy them more.
- Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944 - ★★★★. Second time around, I’m still not sure it holds together. But it’s kind of worth it just for Cary Grant to look at me sometimes?
- Black Lizard, 1968 - ★★★★. When this pandemic is over I’m never going to shut up about this movie at parties.
- Seven Thieves, 1960 - ★★★. Another great reason to watch heist flicks is the competency porn.
- Witness to Murder, 1954 - ★★★. Noir Alley is a gift.
Favourite Games I played in 2020
It’s not the best game of 2020, but it’s the only video game of 2020. It felt like medicine, dropped right at the exact moment it was needed. We
Fran’s Not Here S02E11 - Dry January
Start a podcast with me or whatever. Show notes: I Recommend Eating Chips - The New York Times Fran’s Not Here is a show about Toronto, co-hosted