K Sawyer Paul’s Favourite Media of 2020
I’ve been keeping better track of the things I consume this year. I couldn’t have done it without Notion and this blog. Here’s my top lists for every category. If I remember to, I’ll expand each section with reasons for each. If I don’t, assume each one of things gave me some joy and got me through some of this year.
Note: I definitely consumed more media than this in 2020, but I tried to keep it to things that were released this year.
- Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) - It was the last movie everyone saw in theatres and is therefore the only one qualified to win Best Picture at the Oscars. It’s their rules, man.
- Palm Springs - My answer for “how are you doing?” to everyone has been “yeah, I’m stuck in one of those infinite time loop things” so I’d say this movie hit the general vibe.
- Class Action Park - It’s the “oh, hi, thanks for checking in. I’m still a piece of garbage” of documentaries, and I adore it.
- Run the Jewels — RTJ4 - The first singles released just as lockdown happened in March, and the rest dropped in June, alongside the Black Lives Matter protests.
- The Mountain Goats - Getting into Knives - My wife calls this my “white guy music” and this is more of the good white guy music.
- Helen Love - Power On - Stage 1 is denial and this is the soundtrack for that.
- Charli XCX - How I’m Feeling Now
- Georgia - Seeking Thrills - My favourite dance album in a year of no legal dancing.
- Andy Shauf - The Neon Skyline - if Spotify was actually counting correctly, they’d know I played this two hundred times in a row when it dropped.
- Bright Eyes - Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was - Stage 5 is acceptance and this is the soundtrack to that.
- Avalanches - We Will Always Love You - I actually feel like we didn’t deserve this album this year.
Favourite Live-action TV Shows
- Lovecraft Country - It’s very good and a bit sloppy but so much fun and fast it doesn’t matter. Just a goddamn blast from beginning to end.
- Perry Mason - I don’t care at all about Perry Mason but I will follow Matthew Rhys into oblivion. I wonder if this had been made in the 2000s it would have just been a 150 minute feature and forgotten by awards season.
- Fargo - Fargo season 5 is the only TV show this year that should actually be required viewing.
- Avenue 5 - This show seemed stupid in January but then super smart by March.
- What We Do In the Shadows - This show is delight medicine. I hope it gets the Sunny contract and runs until the end of time.
- Dorohedoro - Lightning in a bottle creativity. I want the backgrounds of this show as art on my walls. Having said that, it’s very, very niche and might not appeal to, uh, anyone but me?
- Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken - A celebration of the creative process, animation, and that period of your life where nobody’s really paying attention to you and you can get away with the thing.
- Somali and the Forest Spirit - Hey, you wanna good cry? Here you go.
- How to Actually Prepare for Coronavirus if You’re Kind of Freaking Out
- Life-Hacks of the Poor and Aimless
- Can We Admit Some Things Are Better Now?
- A Text Renaissance
- The thing about blogging is
- The New Normal For Life Under a New Plague
- Working from Home from Here
- How coronavirus could change your office space and remote work from home
- Why Do We Even Listen to New Music?
- Never Go Back to the Office
- Oh Great, The Fog Is Here: It Is Now Very Foggy On Top Of Everything Else
- The Apartment and How to Escape Toxic Masculinity
- How AA Prepared Me for Indefinite Lockdown
- 15 rules for blogging, and my current streak
- Leading-Trim: The Future of Digital Typesetting
- Love in coronavirus times is complicated. Try having a quarantine crush.
- “A Word on Statistics” by Wisława Szymborska
- You’re Not The Fucked Up One
- What ‘A Face in the Crowd’ Tells Us About Ourselves
- There’s nothing good on TV
- A little advice
- How Dragon Quest’s Creator Invented JRPGs: An Hour With Yuji Horii
- What happens when you reach your limit online
Favourite Video Games
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons - Don’t listen to anyone who says this isn’t the game of 2020. There are no other games.
- Hades - Don’t listen to anyone who says this isn’t the game of 2020. There are no other games.
- Pessimists Archive
- The Insert Credit Show
- California King
- All Consuming
- The Watch
- Triple Click
Favourite Wrestling Matches
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi - Jan 4, 2020, WRESTLE KINGDOM 14
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Tetsuya Naito - Jan 5, 2020, WRESTLE KINGDOM 14
- Arisa Hoshiki vs Utami Hayashishita - Jan 19, 2020, Stardom 9th Anniversary
- Kagetsu vs Stardom - Feb 15, 2020, New Years Stars 2020
- Keith Lee vs Dominik Dijakovic - Feb 16, 2020, TakeOver: Portland
- Adam Page & Kenny Omega vs. Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson - Feb 29, 2020, AEW Revolution 2020
- The Fiend Bray Wyatt vs John Cena - Mar 29, 2020, Wrestlemania 36, Night 2
- Stadium Stampede - The Elite vs The Inner Circle - May 23, 2020, Double Or Nothing 2020
- Cody vs Mr Brodie Lee - Aug 22, 2020, Dynamite 46 - Saturday Night Dynamite
- Saya Kamitani vs Tam Nakano - Sep 12, 2020, Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2020 - Tag 5 (Afternoon Show)
- Tam Nakano vs Giulia - Sep 13, 2020, Stardom 5STAR Grand Prix 2020 - Tag 6
- Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - Sep 20, 2020, G1 Climax 2020
- Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb - Oct 10, 2020, G1 Climax 2020
- Kota Ibushi vs. Taichi - Oct 16, 2020, G1 Climax 2020
- Sasha Banks vs Bayley - Oct 25, 2020, Hell in a Cell 2020
Favourite Youtube Videos
- Africa by Toto but it’s a bunch of Animal Crossing villagers trying their best
- it’s time to get good at darts
- Lockdown Productivity: Spaceship You
- I Am NOT My Body!
- I Joined the Turner Classic Movies Wine Club
- MEXICAN COKE IS A LIE
- Honest Trailers | Cowboy Bebop
- How to deal with uncertainty
- Getting Over It: Humanising Game Design
- Coronavirus And America’s Death Cult
- Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self
- Romulan Ale from Star Trek
- Action Button Reviews Doom