Plex Daily Mix
Now that I’ve rated every song in my Plex library, what’s the best way to actually enjoy this music?
Here’s my first experiment: a Plex Daily Mix. It’s 50 songs, organized with two criteria.
- Songs I haven’t listened to in the last month
- Songs with fewer than 3 plays.
- Songs that have been rated.
This is a pretty simple smart playlist, but because it updates every time I play a song (because of the first criteria) and won’t repeat too often (because of the second), this playlist will only ever empty if I never add new music to my collection. It’s also songs I’ve already decided to keep, so my mind isn’t distracted by thinking “do I want to keep this one?”
This is the kind of stuff I’ve always wanted from iTunes, but they had to go and break smart playlists a few years ago and now nobody trusts it to work.
Other playlists I’d like to make:
- Songs that have been skipped more than three times (for the purpose of lowering their stars)
- Genre smart playlists (a bit like my Spotify lists)
- I’ll probably add/delete to this over time.